'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

from Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There

Friday, May 27, 2011

Baby Cakes

When I think about making a cake for a baby shower, I don't think of storks, miniature babies, or pastel colors.  I think about the expectant, or new mother.  What does she like to do?  What would she wear?  Cake making is especially fun for me when I get to surprise people with a cake they didn't even know that they wanted.  I made two cakes for baby showers this spring and they were both somewhat non-traditional, namely, no tiny babies or pregnant bellies.  Does anyone really want to eat a baby or a belly? 
I was able to match the invitations here.
Alivia is my brand new niece.    I chose this quilted/sewing look with buttons because Maja, my sister, loves to sew.  Maja has Celiac disease and I thought it would be nice to make a cake that she could eat so everything was gluten free.  It was a chocolate chip brownie swirl cake with chocolate swiss meringue buttercream frosting.  She loved it.


I also made a cake to celebrate the birth of a friends first baby.  This was a coconut cream cake with chocolate ganache filling and vanilla swiss meringue buttercream frosting.  The flowers are made from gum paste and the butterfly's semi-translucent wings are made from gelatin.



No comments: