'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

from Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Tangled Tower



The friend of a friend asked me to make her daughter this tangled tower.

I was really excited until I found out I only had 5 days to make it. Then I started to panic. The thing about having to rush is that you don't have time to plan out all of the details and stress about what might be the very best way to make the cake. I couldn't aim for perfection - just completion.


The short story behind this long process, I think I spent about 40 hours on this cake, is that they were thrilled. Mattea had a Rapunzel party with her friends and this cake was reserved for a family party. The inside, unlike the outside, was simple. Vanilla cream cheese pound cake with vanilla swiss meringue buttercream frosting. Yum.


Mattea and her parents were kind enough to give me back the tower (which just lifted off of the cake).  (After so much work I didn't want it tossed into the garbage.)   I've considered making a new base for it  out of styrofoam.  I wasn't entirely happy with the actual cake and I would like to try again with something a little bigger.  I'd also like more time to make it just right.
 For now it will just sit on my dining room table until I decide  what to do with it.  Anybody need a Tangled cake?
My favorite thing about this cake is all of the tiny details.  I even gave Rapunzel a dark lock of short hair.  Unfortunately I don't think you can see it in the pictures.  It is tiny as is her little friend Pascal sitting by her on the windowsill.

1 comment:

Paige said...

I need a Rapunzel cake!! :-) This is, by far, my favorite Rapunzel cake. You did an amazing job!